As clients are experiencing dramatic changes in the stock market, there is
a growing trend of IRA owners taking control of their own investments by investing less in the market and investing directly into alternative assets such as
real estate and loans to small businesses.
Also, many are seeing retirement benefits as sources of capital and are
aggressively seeking to "unlock" those benefits. This trend has accelerated in recent years. As a result of these non-standard investments in tax deferred accounts, clients are demanding expert guidance to make sure IRS disqualification rules, unrelated business income tax, and other related tax sections are followed.
This month, please join us for an overview of the complicated and dangerous world of self directed IRAs. We will learn some of the tax rules that apply to this growing technique, and will attempt to answer some of the most common questions:
• Are there persons or entities that cannot deal with my IRA?
• What voiding prohibited transactions could cost your client over 150% of the investment in penalties?
• What self-dealing situations could surprise you?
• What is a "UBIT", and why should I care?
• What are the plan asset & funding regulations?
• What is the "sole benefit rule"?
• I heard that these things are never right for anybody - is that true?
• I heard that these things are the greatest investment vehicle ever imagined - is that true?
Please join Attorney Daniel P. Marsh and me on Thursday, September 17th at 7:30 a.m at the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club as we explore the question, "Self Directed IRA's - Separating the Good and the Bad".